COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION
In order to provide our customers with our products and services, Alcon Laboratories South Africa (Pty) Limited, its affiliates, information technology service providers appointed by us from time to time and other service providers appointed to assist with the day-to-day administration of the business of Alcon Laboratories South Africa (Pty) Limited may collect and use the personal information about you which you make available to us or about third parties from whom you warrant that you have the requisite authorisation to share their personal information with us, inter alia, through your use of the Website . If we are not provided with all the personal information we request, we may not be able to supply our products and services. The type of information we collect includes names, addresses, credit card details (if you buy products or services from us) and/or other contact details (“Personal Information”). We do not normally collect or store other personal information, as defined in the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013. However, if necessary, we will only collect that information with your consent or as otherwise permitted by law.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
Generally, we collect an individual’s Personal Information directly from that individual when the individual makes such Personal Information available to us or when they make use of our Website or wish to purchase our products or services. For example, we may collect Personal Information from you when you complete our Credit Application Document. If you submit an order (including by telephone or online or personally), we will collect Personal Information necessary to fulfil that order. However, occasionally we may also collect Personal Information from someone other than the individual, for example from any other organisation with which you have had any dealings, or which you have nominated to act as trade referee, or from publicly maintained records.
HOW WE STORE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We take all reasonable steps to keep secure any Personal Information which we hold about you and to protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration. Any Personal Information you provide to us is securely stored. Access to Personal Information is limited to those of our personnel who specifically need it to carry out their business responsibilities. We also maintain physical security procedures to manage and protect the use and storage of records containing Personal Information. To help us protect your privacy, you should maintain the secrecy of the access credentials (i.e. user name and password) you use to access and use our website. We are not responsible or liable for the security of data sent via the internet. Please be notified that your Personal Information will be stored outside of the borders of South Africa in a country that may not necessarily have the same level of data protection laws as South Africa. The transmission of information over wireless and wired networks is not inherently secure. Alcon Laboratories South Africa (Pty) Limited will implement all necessary and adequate measures to help protect your
Updated: 16 May 2019
Personal Information against unauthorised access and disclosure however Alcon Laboratories South Africa (Pty)
Limited does not guarantee the safety thereof.
PURPOSE OF COLLECTION
We collect Personal Information so we can:
• meet our legal obligations;
• identify our customers, potential customers and their representatives;
• inform you or others of any initiatives we think may be of interest to you or them;
• inform you or others about our products and services and the benefits of using our products and services;
• provide you or others with information about offers or other benefits that may become available;
• seek your opinion or comments about our products and services;
• to provide goods, services or other benefits to be offered to customers, or for purposes necessary or incidental
to the provision of goods, services or other benefits to you;
• carry out billing and/or debt recovery activities;
• carry out our management, administrative quality assurance and complaint handling activities in a professional
and efficient manner;
• develop and implement initiatives to improve our products and services;
• to conduct credit checks via third party credit reporting bodies.
USE AND DISCLOSURE
We use and disclose the Personal Information we collect for the purposes indicated above. We usually disclose the
Personal Information we collect to our related entities, service providers and contractors, who help us supply our
products and services and assist with the day-to-day administration of the business. For example, we may disclose the
Personal Information we collect to our professional advisors such as legal practitioners and accountants, debt
collectors and insurers. Except where indicated above, we will not use or disclose your Personal Information to a third
• you have consented to the use and disclosure;
• the third party is our service provider or contractor, in which case we will require them to use and disclose the
personal information only for the purpose for which it was provided to them;
• the third party is a person involved in a dealing or proposed dealing (including a sale) of all or part of our assets
• the third party is a credit reporting agency, your creditor, banker, financier, credit provider;
• the disclosure is to a related body corporate; or
• the disclosure is permitted, required or authorised by or under law.
We may use your Personal Information to advise you of new products and marketing initiatives that we think may be
of interest to you. This may include product and service offerings, newsletters and general information about us. If you
prefer not to receive information about our products and services you can ask to be removed from the relevant
circulation list by contacting us, using the details listed below. We never disclose Personal Information to a third party
for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products or service to you, unless you have expressly consented
to that disclosure.
QUALITY & CORRECTION
At all times we strive to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If at any
time you believe the Personal Information that we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, you should
let us know. We will use all reasonable efforts to correct the inaccuracy.
WEBSITE & COOKIES
We are committed to constantly improving our procedures so that Personal Information is treated appropriately. If you feel that we have failed to deal with your Personal Information in accordance with this policy or in accordance with the South African Privacy Principles, please contact us, using the details listed below, so we have an opportunity to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. We will log your complaint and our privacy officer will:
• listen to your concerns and grievances;
• discuss with you the ways in which we can remedy the situation; and
• put in place an action plan to resolve your complaint and improve our information handling procedures if appropriate.
If you require more detailed information about our information handling practices or if you have any concerns about our handling of your personal information, you can contact the Alcon South Africa Legal and Information Head: Mrs. Mayuri Naidoo on +27 11 545 0338 alternatively via email at Mayuri.Naidoo@Alcon.Com.